IDPH - Illinois Department of Public Health


Create a Record of Foreign Birth for a child born in a foreign country and re-adopted in Illinois

Illinois law allows for the re-adoption of a foreign-born child in Illinois, but does not require it. If a foreign-born child is re-adopted in Illinois and you wish to have a Record of Foreign Birth created, you will need to submit:

  • Certified Illinois Certificate of Adoption.
  • Secondary evidence to the child's date and place of birth, such as:
    • The certified copy of the child's original birth certificate with a certified extract or translation.
    • A copy of the judgment of adoption if it stipulates the date and place of birth.
    • Other document essentially equivalent to the records of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service or the U.S. Department of State.
    • For information about fees, click here