IDPH - Illinois Department of Public Health


If the biological parents of a child are not married/in a civil union, are both available to sign forms and no other man is listed on the birth certificate, a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity (VAP) form is completed. This form is available from a county clerk, health department, public aid (HFS) office or it may be found at

If the biological parents are not married/in a civil union and either parent is NOT available to sign forms, a Court Order of Paternity is required. Contact your local court system for further details.

If a court has determined who the biological father/co-parent of a child is and you have a Court Order of Paternity, submit the Affidavit and Certificate of Correction Request form and a certified copy of the court order of paternity. You can obtain a certified copy from the circuit clerk's office. The court order will not be returned to you; it becomes part of the sealed file.

You also will need to include the following:

  • The father/co-parent's full name
  • The father/co-parent's date of birth
  • The father/co-parent's place of birth (state or country if other than the United States)
  • The mother/co-parent's Social Security number
  • A copy of the non-expired government issued photo IDs of both mother/co-parent and father/co-parent
  • The required fee. For information about fees, click here.

NOTE: A copy of DNA results are not acceptable as proof of paternity.