29 YEARS AGO IN IDPH HISTORY
On Dec. 12, 1973, at approximately 12:30 p.m., fire broke out in one of the Departments office locations at 4398 S. Jeffory St. in Springfields Industrial Park. All occupants were able to escape the flash fire without injury.
Despite the quick response by the Springfield Fire Department, the structure was completely destroyed. Affected were programs in health economics, tuberculosis, immunizations, local health administration, rehabilitation, and vision and hearing. In addition, the Departments print shop and graphic arts operation and a portion of its warehouse operation were destroyed by the fire.
The equipment loss alone exceeded $520,000. Other losses drugs, biologics, printed materials, office supplies and paper stock exceeded $416,000.
Moving quickly to address the operational effects of the fire, the Department leased a building at 1130 S. Sixth St. on Jan. 17, 1974, and staff from the destroyed offices were able to resume limited functions within about five weeks few weeks after the fire. The shipping and stores operation used temporary space on the Illinois State Fairgrounds until moving to leased warehouse space at 2875 N. Dirksen Parkway in March 1974.
On July 1, 1974, the General Assembly appropriated $323,950 for replacement of equipment and supplies and $21,400 to compensate employees and vendors for losses they sustained.
Within a few years, the Department abandoned the South Sixth Street site and moved its offices into the West Jefferson Street location, where they are still located.
... Years Ago in Public Health
A Timeline of the Illinois Department of Public Health